Sunday, February 28, 2010

PROVINCETOWN IN WINTER ?

In response to this article in the Boston Globe: “WINTER hardships felt at land’s end’’ (Metro, Feb. 14), I asked my first manager Tom O'Leary (a wonderful writer) to respond to the editor, since I knew that Tom would agree with me that this article was interesting but that the point of view was narrow.

The Boston Globe then published his response which is below:
Provincetown has always been quieter in the winter whether the economy was thriving or not. The serene winter solitude is what I loved best when I lived in Provincetown year round in the mid-to-late 90's. In the cold months you don't find yourself packed like a sardine on Commercial Street as you do in July or August.

For those of us who adore Cape Cod not for the masses of tourists but for the sky and sand and sea ---winter is heaven. The "off season" is really my favorite time of year in Provincetown. There are still plenty of wonderful restaurants. The bars are still filled with charming characters. The guest houses, especially my favorite---The Revere House---are comfy and cozy and a lot more affordable and easier to book than in the summer.

My humble opinion is that people who have read the gloom and doom of this article should get in a car or on a plane and experience winter in Provincetown yourself. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.


by Tom O'Leary
________________________________________
Make your reservation at the Revere Guest House now. It is one of the most distinctive and historic inns in Provincetown and it will become one of your favorite Provincetown bed and breakfasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment